Mokoena, Kaki and Van Zyl lights up Monaco's track


South Africa's Godfrey Khotso Mokoena, L.J. Van Zyl and Sudan's Abubakar Kaki were dominant African winners at today's Herculis Monaco IAAF Super Grand Prix meet.

Khotso Mokoena continued his recent good form in Monaco with a comfortable win in the men's Long Jump with a leap of 8.28m. Senegal's Ndiss Kaba Badji (7.98m) was 5th.

Mokoena told the media:
"I feel great, it was nice and fun. This is my first time in Monaco, it's a great city.

"It is a nice competition, I passed a few attempts, I am taking it easy because the World Championships are only 3 weeks away. All the guys are doing well, I am looking forward to more competitions, can't wait for Berlin."
Uganda's Moses Ndiema Kipsiro won the men's 3000m in a personal best of 7:30.95. Kenyans Silas Kipruto (7:32.52) and Sammy Alex Mutahi (7:33.02) were second and third respectively.

South African L.J. Van Zyl also took apart a strong men's 400m hurdles field that include American Kerron Clement and Bershawn Jackson in a personal best 47.94 secs. Bershawn Jackson (USA) was 2nd in 47.98 secs and Jamaican Danny McFarlane settled for third place in 48.03 secs.

Van Zyl said after the race:
"Finally! I've lost so many times, now I have won. I think this is the best race of my life so far.
"The race was fast from the beginning and I just kept focused on Berlin and everything went according to my plan."
Sudan's Abubakar Kaki won the men's 800m in 1:43.50 beating Russia's Yuriy Borzakovskiy (1:43.58) to the second place.
"It was a nice race and went well. I had a small problem at the start, my calf cramped up but I then felt ok at the finish.

"I came here to break the African record but I couldn't because of this small [tight calf] problem. I would like to say sorry to all the people and thank you for coming to watch me race," Kaki said.
See Full Herculis Monaco Grand Prix meet results here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Results - Day 1 CAA African U18 and U20 Athletics Championships - Abidjan 2019

2019 All-Nigeria Track and Field Championships set for Kaduna - July 22-27